Friday, June 11, 2010

Healthy Pizza-like Summer Lunch

If you love pizza, but hate the calories, here's a healthy summer alternative that's just as good (or better in my opinion).  Plus, you can use fresh garden veggies and herbs!

Start with 100-calorie sandwich thins...


Next, mix some fresh garlic with about a teaspoon of butter or buttery spread.  (Let me interject here and say that I HATE margarine.  I think it's gross and fake.  I rarely use butter, so I don't feel bad about using the real thing.  But, I have found two alternatives that I can live with.  I can't believe it's not Butter! Spray (I began using this because Hungry Girl uses them in many of her recipes) and Best Life Buttery Spread.) I used the Best Life stuff when I made it.

Then, take one light string cheese and tear it up and top both halves of the bread.

(Yes, that's just one string cheese!)

Meanwhile, slice one or two Roma Tomatoes and, with a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper, saute them in a hot skillet till they get those nice black marks.  Also, grab a handful of fresh basil leaves. 

When your tomatoes are nice and grilled, it's time to assemble your "pizzas."  Spread out your basil leaves over the string cheese and then top with the grilled tomatoes.  Lastly, stick it in a 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes to get it nice and toasty.  

You won't believe your taste buds!  All for about 175 calories....THAT'S IT...FOR BOTH HALVES....TOTAL!  Compare that to two slices of Pizza Hut Veggie Lovers pizza...520 Calories!


 

0 comments: