Saturday, February 12, 2011

Crispy Flaky Oven Fried Chicken

My husband's favorite food is fried chicken.

I DO NOT make fried chicken.

Therefore, hubby gets no fried chicken.  

How's that for a syllogism?  Aristotle would be proud....I think.   Wait...!!  Hold up!!!  I think I just used my college degree!!  Mom...Dad!!!!  I used it!!  Majoring in Speech Communication was useful!! 

Okay...enough of that.  Look at this:


It looks like fried chicken....

It tastes like fried chicken...

but it is NOT fried chicken....technically.

After eating this, Justin said..."Steph, I will never ask you to make fried chicken for me again if you promise to keep making this."  DEAL!!!  

This is the easiest dinner ever! 

Ingredients Needed:
1 1/2 cups mashed potato flakes
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup melted butter
1 TBSP water
1 egg
1 cut fryer chicken (about 3-3.5 lbs)

First, preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

In a large mixing bowl comine: 1 1/2 cups mashed potato flakes, 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

Stir 1/4 cup melted butter into potato flake mixture.

In a separate bowl, beat 1 egg with 1 TBSP water. 

Dip chicken in egg, then coat in potato flake mixture. 
Place chicken in 13x9 (ungreased) baking dish. I actually like to spread mine out into two dishes so the chicken pieces don't touch and the batter stays on. I also pour the leftover crumbs on the already coated chicken for extra crunch.  

Then, bake for 1 hour.

That's all!  And it's so good!  I will definitely be adding this to the "rotation".

2 comments:

Jan

Looks yummy! I can't wait to try it.

Jan

Dad loved it too! It will definitely also be on our rotation.